RESEARCH IN THE WHITNEY LIBRARY
There are various ways in which inquiries concerning New Haven history and genealogy can be dealt with. We suggest that you consider the following options for your research.Please keep in mind that theWhitney Library has a small staff and cannot provide research services gratis.
1. The Whitney Library is open to the public Tuesday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. There is a daily fee of $4.00 to use the Library. It is free for NHMHS members.
2. Many resources for New Haven history and genealogy have been published. You ought to check with your local public library and see if works about New Haven can be secured by inter-library loan from another institution. (Note that the Whitney Library’s materials do not circulate.) Other material about New Haven has been microfilmed and may be available to you through the regional family history libraries of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
3. Genealogical research can best be done by professionals who will research here at the Whitney Library and in other area repositories on your behalf for a fee. Lists of such professionals may be obtained from the following organizations:
- Connecticut Professional Genealogists Council, P.O. Box 4273, Hartford, CT 06147-4274.
- Association of Professional Genealogists, P.O. Box 350998, Westminster, CO 80035-0998.
Other than initial inquiries, the staff of the Whitney Library ordinarily does not conduct extensive genealogical research.
4. The staff is prepared to answer specific questions about our collections. Usually these questions concern references to published or manuscript material. Either of the following may be appropriate:
- An initial search of our catalogs, indexes, and finding aids
- More extensive research (other than that of a genealogical nature) can be conducted
Please see the Rights and Reproduction Information page for more detailed fee information regarding research and copy services. Thank you.
Inquiry letters may be sent to:
The Whitney Library
New Haven Museum & Historical Society
114 Whitney Avenue
New Haven, CT 06510.
Checks in payment for research fees should be made payable to the New Haven Museum and Historical Society.